Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Brown Sugar Wafers


I think this was my Dutch grandmother's secret recipe, but I can't be for sure. I came across this recipe written by my mom and decided to make it with my boys last night. They had fun and have been gobbling these cookies down ever since. I think they'll make my dad proud too.

Ingredients:

1 cup butter
3/4 cup packed organic dark brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 - 1/2 cup pure cane sugar (or granulated) for pressing

Directions:

Beat the butter until it's creamy. Gradually add the sugar while beating. Add vanilla and yolk next. Add flour and salt. Mix well, shape into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on baking sheet. Butter the flat bottom of a glass cup then dip in granulated sugar, press onto cookie balls until flat. Re-dip in the sugar between each pressing for less sticking.

Bake 340 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet and then carefully remove with a thin spatula onto a cooling rack.

These are great by themselves or with a bowl of vanilla bean ice cream.

No comments: