Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Salmon Cakes and Celery Tuesday
For the salmon cakes, I used this recipe from allrecipes.com:
* 1 (14.75 ounce) can salmon, drained and flaked
* 1 small onion, minced (I grated it)
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup bread crumbs
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour for coating (I forgot this step!)
* 1/4 cup butter (I used 4 very small pats on the cookie sheet)
* 3 tablespoons olive oil (I didn't use this either)
1. Combine salmon, onion, egg, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, black pepper, cheese and parsley; mix well. Shape into four patties. Dust lightly with flour. Chill for 20 minutes.
2. In a large skillet heat butter and olive oil over medium high heat. Cook the patties until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Drain briefly on paper towels before serving.
I cooked these in the oven--- 380 degrees/ 20 minutes per side. I made smaller cakes, so actually cooked them a bit shorter.
I also made a spicy mustard dipping sauce: 1 tablespoon spicy mustard, 2 tablespoons of mayo, a few squirts of pepper sauce.
Served with celery stalks. Yum!!