Saturday, September 6, 2008

Dirty Rice and Beans with Lentils Saturday



WOW! I can't believe how much this meal was a hit!! I changed up the recipe that I found so that I could use what I had on hand and not have to make another trip to the store.

Here you see the dirty rice and beans with hot sauce and without (for the boys).



1 cup quick-cooking brown rice
1 8oz package frozen vegetarian "sausage" patties, thawed, cut into chunks (I left this out)
½ cup celery, sliced
½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
½ cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 15.5oz can butter beans, rinsed and drained (I used black eyed peas)
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
¼ teaspoon salt
(I added a cup of chopped carrots, and 2 cups of cooked lentils)

Prepare rice according to package directions. Fluff with a fork

Meanwhile, spray a large nonstick skillet with vegetable cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add "sausage", celery, bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender-crisp and "sausage" is browned, about 5 minutes.

Add cooked rice and all remaining ingredients to skillet; mix well. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

No comments: